Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Are you worshiping God or your actions?


'On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.' Matthew 7:21-23
Let me start out by stating I don’t care how you vote, and trust that if you are a Christian you voted the way you did after much prayer and how the Spirit led you, even those that placed their vote based on just one issue. What I will caution you however is not to allow that issue or issues to become your god, as I have seen where some might be going that way. In this passage it isn't those who weren’t doing good works, voting a certain way, speaking out in regards to certain issues that have noble intentions that are being condemned. It’s those who were doing good works, in God’s name even, yet rather than their focus being on God their focus was on their works (their own righteousness). They worshiped what they were doing rather than God, they looked religious but what they worshiped wasn’t the Lord but the law. In the same way there are some that appear to falling into a similar trap of Satan, he doesn’t trip us up with the things that are evil but takes those things that are good and twists them to take our focus away from God, by moving their focus from God to placing their focus solely on a specific issue.
Now I will admit this is a challenge to all of us, as I have heard one pastor say, “We are all control freaks,” we want to be in control of everything and will often try to avoid that which we can't control; and it is easy to worship and place our focus and trust on that which we control, such as an issue we focus on regarding our vote, or the good deeds that we do. This is why Paul states in Romans 12:1, we are to daily offer ourselves up as a living sacrifice, because all of us have a daily struggle in choosing to focus on God or to place our focus elsewhere.
Finally, I voted how I felt led; but I also know regardless of how I voted God is sovereign and the results on November 4 will be that which God has ordained. His will, will be carried out no matter what and will all work out ultimately to His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Intersex in Christ: Ambiguous Biology and the Gospel

 Let me start out that to my knowledge I have not been diagnosed as or told I was Intersex, but would not be surprised if I was and just hav...