Monday, November 2, 2020

American that is a Christian or Christian that is an American, which are you?


No by looking at my title you may wonder what's the difference between the two, and the best way to illustrate that is from two different sermons I have listened to recently. In my opinion both sermons were political in nature, and both touched on similar topics; the difference is where the pastor's focus was and the title of the sermons will illustrate that (sermons linked to in the comments). It is whether they view themselves first as an American or first as a Christian.
Gary Hamrick's sermon, though I am not sure if I can fully call it that, appears to be more of a defense against a political platform. His approach, to me, appears to be American first then Christian, to where he views as long as the political platform appears more Biblical than the other, you can turn a blind eye to the personality/character of a candidate, not realizing that a leader's personality/character can be just as influential on a nation and its practices as their policies/platform. 1 Kings 11 shows the folly of this thought where God tells Solomon that the kingdom of Israel (Northern 10 tribes) will be removed from him due to his sin (1 Kings 11:11); however, when the prophet Ahijah approaches Jeroboam to tell him we will be given the 10 tribes, it is because of Israel's sin (1 Kings 11:31-33). His sermon if you could actually call it that used Jeremiah 6:16-19 as a launching point at the start of the sermon just to say that the church in America is at a crossroads, after that I don't remember any reference to the Bible throughout the rest of the message.
David Platt on the other hand starts with 1 Peter 2:13-17 and constantly points back to Scripture. He states he isn't to share political opinions, convictions, etc.; nor is it how to exalt a political party or candidate, but he aims on showing how to exalt Jesus alone. He presents a message on being a Christian first then American. Concerned less about where the country is going but where people where will spend eternity. He points out our ultimate allegiance is to God, not a country and not a political party. Rather than turn a blind eye to evil for various reasons we should take ALL evil seriously not only in the platform but in the character of the candidates/leaders as well.
If you can only watch/listen to one of these sermons I would point you to David Platt's. One thing this election year has revealed to me is that a number of big-name Christians and ministries here in America appear to be make being an American to take priority over being a Christian using their faith to exalt a political party or candidate, instead of making being a Christian the priority by exalting Christ above all else. I will say I have also unfollowed a number of such ministries and pastors as they started to exalt a platform/party/candidate over exalting Christ. So, I will ask again are you an American that happens to be a Christian or a Christian that happens to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Intersex in Christ: Ambiguous Biology and the Gospel

 Let me start out that to my knowledge I have not been diagnosed as or told I was Intersex, but would not be surprised if I was and just hav...